1/2 Onion, sliced
4 stalks of celery, cleaned and diced
4 medium carrots, sliced/diced as needed
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
6-8oz of shiitake mushrooms, sliced
4 – 6oz of portobello mushrooms, sliced
4 medium golden/red potatoes, diced
1 can of Hearts of Palm, sliced
2 tbsp flour
3cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp of white/yellow miso paste
1 recipe of Cashew Cream
Adjust the seasonings below to your tastes:
– Thyme, Parsley, Salt, Pepper, and some dried seaweed for that chowdery flavor.
For the Cashew Cream – prepare this in the morning of the day you want to make the chowder.
– Soak 1 cup raw cashews in water
– Once soaked, blend with some almond milk/coconut cream to get smooth creamy sauce.
For the rest of the chowder
– Sautee the onion, celery, carrots and garlic until soft
– Remove from pan to a small mixing bowl
– add in oil or water or some broth (which ever method you use) to deglaze, then add in the mushrooms and cook those until soft and juices have released
– add back in the cooked onion mixture to the pan
– add in your diced potatoes and Hearts of Palm
– add your spices here so their flavors open in the heat
– stir, add 2~tbsp of water to prevent sticking, cover potatoes for 5 minutes
– add in the flour, mixing to cover the veggies
– slowly stir in the vegetable broth to prevent clumping
– add miso paste, stirring in (you can also add this to the broth to make sure it doesn’t clump)
– add your cashew cream
– Simmer for about 20 minutes so the flavors mix
I did finish this off with 2.5 cups of frozen peas.
You can turn this into a pot pie if you like or eat as a chowder with a side of bread/biscuit. I chose to place biscuits on top. I had already spent time making this recipe as well as making the mincemeat galettes in the background (not meat, but a dried fruit dessert), that I did not want to also make biscuits. I used a tin of Trader Joe’s biscuits. Note to self, next time pull those badboys apart, halving their depth, before placing on the dish. They will bake better.
For my lunches, I ate the leftover chowder as soup and it was quite filling.