Sitting in my fridge was this package of LoveBeets that I could not figure out how I wanted to cook with them. Usually these will be sliced up and used in sandwiches or on hearty salads, I’ll even dice them up for enchiladas. I love roasted butternut squash beet enchiladas, but this post is not for that recipes.
This lunch came together in 30ish minutes from starting the oven, chopping the cauliflower, sautéing onions, then blending the soup, and serving it. It came together so quickly due to not having to roast the beets.
This is a recipe that the LoveBeets website inspired, but I added a few of my own preferences.
Roasted Cauliflower Beet Soup
Servings per batch: 6
Calories per serving: 200 (320 with 1/2 cup of chickpeas)
- 1 head of cauliflower – chopped
- 1 package of LoveBeets
- 1 yellow onions – sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch of ginger – minced
- 1 can of coconut milk (make it lite if you need to)
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F, chop your cauliflower, set on roasting pan, spritz with a bit of your choice of oil, and pop in the oven for 20 minutes
- Heat a bit of oil in a sauté pan, slice up your onions and place them in the pan
- Stir the onion around a bit, add in the garlic, ginger, and I added in lemongrass
- Use a handy blender – I have a Ninja which is quite nice – and add the beets, coconut milk, vegetable stock spices, and the cooked cauliflower
- Blend this until smooth, if you want it thinner please add some extra water or stock
Garnish and serve up! I kept mine vegan with some thinly sliced spinach, roasted chickpeas and vegan cream. You can always cook up pork, chicken, or another type of meat such as fish if you like. I wouldn’t think it would be that good with red meat, but what do I know since I can’t have it.
I may add another few beets, if I have them, next time. This would be for more pink color than anything else.
Til Next Time,